In 1891, St. Joseph’s Home for the Blind first opened in a rented house in Jersey City, New Jersey by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace.
In 1921 the Home split into St. Joseph’s School for the Blind to accommodate the growing number of children while the Home continued serving only adults. In 1929 the Sisters moved the School to 253 Baldwin Avenue, Jersey City to meet the increased enrollment and expand their programs.
In 1960, St. Joseph's School for the Blind began accepting students who were blind/visually impaired with multiple disabilities as an answer to a need for services not provided by any other agency at that time.
Further growth prompted the creation of a new residential facility and in 1996, Concordia House opened to students to further develop their independent living skills in a residential setting.
St. Joseph's School for the Blind remained at Baldwin Avenue until February 2007 when it moved to its new 75,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art facility at 761 Summit Avenue, Jersey City.